Tuesday, September 12, 2006

To Be A Kid Again

I often hear people much older than me say, "Ahh to be a kid again." When someone says this it is usually the innocence and ease of a child's life to which this person is reminiscing. The life of an adult in our world is a life of mortgages, car payments, monitoring cholesterol intake and traffic. One often longs to return to the days when you didn't worry about what you ate, where you lived, what you drove and if there is someone out there for you.

It's funny though because the older I get not only does my life get more complicated but so does my Christian faith. When I was a kid I first believed that Jesus died for my many sins and that because of him I could have a relationship with God. As adults we try and figure out if we believe in limited atonement, supralapsarianism, amillenialism and the JEDP theory of Pentateuch authorship. And I will be the first to say that I often start these type of conversations. Theology is a calling and a passion of mine and I am a firm believer in its value. But as of late I have realized that while my knowledge continues to grow, my theology continues to form and my appreciation for the complexity of the Bible deepens, my simple obedience to God's commands doesn't always follow suit.

I can explain Anselm's view of the atonement.
But do I take up my cross daily and follow Jesus?

I can explain theogony.
But am I daily captivated by the God of the Universe?

I lie.
I lust.
I steal.
I chase after idols.
I do not love my neighbor as myself.

But I can explain infralapsarianism.

Why did Jesus welcome children to surround him?
Because children trust and obey.
Some call it naieve.
Jesus called it faith.

When Paul called me to be a man and put away my childish ways I don't think my simple faith and steadfast obedience was what he had in mind.

May our knowledge of God be a supplement rather than a substitute for our simple obedience and pure love for God.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bravo! adam. I think the opposite is true for me sometimes. I think very simple and I have a hard time explaining superlaps.....(see I cant even spell it). I pray for the both of us in this seminary time that God will keep us humble. My prof. said there is a difference between cut by a thug and being cut by a sergon.

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, man! Please beat me up if I ever start a conversation about supralapsarianism in any context other than class. Thanks.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger TeddyCook said...

Amen! That's all...
Teddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home