Friday, September 01, 2006

Kirk

"...its been a long December and there's reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last..."

At the concert I couldn't focus.
My head couldn't stop swiveling
Back and forth and all around.
Back and forth and all around.
I thought, "there are so many people here."

An amphitheatre.
A band whose lyrics make little sense but haunt you.
An abundance of alcohol.
A crowd forming one voice:

"...if you think that I could be forgiven...I wish you would..."

I began to understand.
Instead of swiveling I stared straight ahead.

I was in the midst of a great escape.

The amphitheatre with its social elixir,
The amphitheare with its family of strangers,
The amphitheatre with its familiar anthems

Was a church for the unforgiven.

The church of the unforgiven lacks pretense.
The church of the unforgiven shares a brew and a song with strangers.
The church of the unforgiven doesn't ask about yesterday it embraces the night.

Listen, Learn, Love O church of the forgiven.

"...I can't remember all the times I tried to tell myself to hold on to these moments as they passed..."

4 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Philip Letizia said...

You know what I think about this. We talked about it. Beautifully captured. Beautifully written. I want that to be my church

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger TeddyCook said...

The Counting Crows are my favorite band! That's all you need to know about that.
Teddy

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Adam. I agree that we have much to learn from our "unforgiven" friends. I also echo Phil's comment, how awesome would it be if church felt like that?! Which leads me to my question: is it realistic to think that a church service can have the same appeal as a rock concert? I'm torn... while the joy we experience in worship is greater by far, it also requires a "cross": a crucifixion of the dirt in our hearts and a reckoning with the way we live (rather than merely an escape from it). It seems inevitable that fear of such a confrontation will keep many on the fringes.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff adam. as you well know I m a big fan of balance though. we need praise and awe in the house of God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home