Friday, July 07, 2006

Unplugged from the World

So I officially made the move from living with my parents to my own place (although my own place is actually the guesthouse of my grandparents - so make of that what you want.) But the independence such a move provides is wonderful, the only thing though is that now on my own I am without computer and internet, and it was then that I realized I may have independence but I have become extremely dependent upon things such as computers and internet. Thus, until I can afford to purchase a computer (which will be at least another week or two) I will be unable to update my blog, incapable of emailing, unplugged from the world.

I realize that all three of you who read my blog will suddenly find yourselves struggling to pass the time without any new posts (kidding) so in the meantime here are some suggestions:

Watch the World Cup Final on Sunday
As an American, who has been told to eat "Freedom Fries" at fast food chains I never thought I would pull for France in an international sporting event until now. France is an exciting team to watch play, features an aging superstar making a John Elway type run at a title, and is the only European nation which actually features numerous black players - a refreshing sight - since we do afterall live in the year 2006. Combine that with the fact that the Italian team features worse, more dramatic actors than a late-night Cinemax flick and is mired in a massive referree fixing scandal back home (although you might want to ask Australia how it feels to play an Italian team who has the refs in their back pocket at the WC also) and I just simply cannot root for Italy and manage to fall asleep at night. Either way its a tough choice though. Root for a blantantly scandalous, dirty team with zero integrity or root for a team whose nation can't stand us. Oh well, aren't the World Cup games really just a 3 hour excuse for me to drink beer in the mornings?

Watch Seinfeld re-runs on TBS from 6pm-7pm
The hands-down best American comedy ever created runs every week night on TBS from 6-7 and is also found on other channels real late at night. Everyone needs more Seinfeld in their life - I suggest watching it while eating a Drake's Coffee Cake.

Buy "The Office" (BBC version)
I had to qualify my statement above by saying that Seinfeld was the flat out best American comedy because my eyes were opened to the sweet brilliance of The Office, which originally aired in 12 parts on the BBC. It is the pinnacle of British comedy and even though the American remake airs on NBC on Thursdays it comes nowhere close. Do yourself a service and get your hands on this and remember David Brent is not your boss he is a chilled out entertainer.

Drink a Bodington
Bodington is an ale brewed in Manchester which has worked its way onto my "Ambrosial Nectar" list. It possesses virtually no aftertaste, has one of the coolest looking taps around, and features that velvety creaminess akin to Guinness but without the smack you in the mouth heaviness and color. Visit your local British pub for more details.

Eat McDonald's Ice Cream
Thought that the best Ice Cream was only found in an Edys carton or in a Coldstone store or at Jackson's? Wrong. Everything else at McDonald's is artificial so there is little reason to believe that their ice cream is actually ice cream but the stuff that they sell on top of a cone or covered in hot fudge is darn good - and it is only around a dollar - you could pay for it with the change in your cup holders (and I frequently do). Word of advice - the hot fudge sundae is actually cheaper than the plain vanilla cone. Both are dynamite it just depends on your mood. I eat probably three to four of these a week. And after the whole Bodington thing you thought I was a man of fine tastes.

3 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Occam's Razor said...

I must applaud. You have grabbed my attention by applying such a simple principle. More is not always better. I was reading Churchill's response to a document that he had received for members of parliment. As he was handed a comprehensive and exhaustive document he leaned over to speak to the members of parliment and said, "Due to the length of this document, you have successfully avoided the risk of anyone ever reading it." He then sat down and parliment was silent. I on the other hand am silent because of the simple brillance of your concise wit.

DRock

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you love your McDonald's icecream!

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o ok

 

Post a Comment

<< Home