Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"And let there be condominiums"

I'm a city slicker.

I did the larger portion of my growing up in the city of Fort Lauderdale, went to college in downtown West Palm and currently work back in downtown Fort Lauderdale - the yachting and road construction capitol of the world.

But I'm not really a city slicker through and through. I definitely enjoy a lot of what city life offers - the at the fingertips entertainment; the plethora of restaurants; the energy and nightlife and the diversity of people...all in all Fort Lauderdale is a great place to live.

But I do often long for slower pace, less traffic, less concrete and more soil, friendlier folk, less Honda's with custom exhaust and more pickup's.
I don't plan on spending my whole life here.
But lately I have realized that the same lesson can be learned in the city or in the country...and that lesson is that we are oh so small.
As the Psalmist says, "What is man oh Lord that you are mindful of him?"
What I mean is this: we often here that when you're out in the open country and you're faced with that big sky or all those stars that you really begin to realize how small you are in the grand scheme of things. With such an observation I definitely concur but I think the city teaches us the same lesson. The city is like a human anthill. I may not frequent mountains in the city but each day as I pass the peaks of the endless condos I always think two thoughts:
1) Man, I can't afford a single one of these

and
2) Think about how many freakin' people live here. This is just one city in one state in one country on earth and look at all the people. I am merely one of them...life is definitely not about me.
Now I am not so sure we as humans were meant to be sardine packed into condos but they certainly do put things in perspective the same way a mountain or a big sky does (although not as beautifully - and Moss Construction built the condo whereas God the mountain).
There are a lot of us here.
All made in the image of the living Creator God.
What is man oh Lord that you are mindful of him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home