Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Heaven

Stereotypical images are funny - especially religious ones.
The classic horned devil in red tights weilding a pitchfork that represents Satan, which undoubtedly pales in comparison to the actual terror of who he is.
The image of God as a giant, beared man in the clouds, once again falling miserably short.
Heaven also has its own stereotypical images which are associated with it. There is the portrayal of it as a shiny, flashy city of gold - looking as if it were built with Mr. T's jewelry that had been melted down.
There is the image of it as the city of clouds where we all have wings, rosy cheeks and wear togas.
Some take the words of Christ ultra-literally and portray us as each owning our own suburban mansion, complete with multi-car garage and a lawn service.
Some religions advocate carnal paradises where along with the mansion one also gets eternal conjugal visits (if such a thing doesn't scream "I am a religion that has been made up" I don't know what does).

I am a Christian who thinks that there is only one Heaven and only one means of getting there - Jesus Christ - but the point is that even for us Heaven is a little unclear. There are passages in Scripture that give some clarity but we don't have a blueprint.

But it will be glorious.

And the older I get (I was going to say mature, but thats up for debate - I'm definitely getting older) and the more of this world I see and touch I am reminded more and more that Heaven will be glorious for many reasons but the one I am so looking forward to is the abolition of sin.

I am worn out by sin.

I'm tired of looking it in the eye every day.
Tired of biting, clawing, scraping my way against it.
Tired of it knocking me down again and again.
Tired of seeing its effects in the lines of my face, in the streets of our city.
Tired of being afraid.
Tired of guilt.
Tired of lust.
Tired of worry.
Tired of funerals.

And I wonder in heaven how much we will recollect of our earthly life, for I think now that the bitterness of the world is what makes the grace of heaven appear oh so sweet.

But whatever it looks like, whatever we do when there, one thing is for sure:

Jesus is there.

And sin is not.

3 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a verse in peter somewhere i think (it may be romans) that says "hope that is seen is no hope at all, who hopes for what he already has?" in my mind, thinking of heaven is far too often filled with images like you presented so well, and what i've realized is that my expectations, as gloriously confused as they can be, ONLY have potential to limit heaven. moreover, when i think about it i'd rather heaven was nothing like a place i can dream up. i'd much rather hope for a place of great mystery- someplace unseen. there's more potential when i leave it in God's hands.
i think i might of told you already but thanks for the piper article last week.

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo the poem or whatever you call that at the end. this is some of you your best writting yet

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Adam. These lines really hit home with me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home